Monday, February 28, 2011

Boot Hill First Printing + Vintage Miniatures

A few weeks ago I made a lucky score on eBay. For $36 I got three 1970s Tactical Studies Rules books: Chainmail, D&D Blackmoor, and Boot Hill. They are all well-loved copies with writing in them which is something I prefer.

The most rare and remarkable of the three books is Boot Hill, which is a first printing from 1975. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this is the third roleplaying game ever published, behind Dungeons & Dragons and Empire of the Petal Throne. This little brown book is pretty hard to find, especially with the tear-out reference sheets still intact. I have to admit that I've never been terribly interested in Boot Hill or any other historical games because wizards and weird science are my thing. This game looks like a lot of fun though, and I could see myself running a few weird west shoot outs in the near future.

I also picked up some early 1980s Boot Hill minis off eBay for $1. Cool!

Here are pictures of the artifacts...

CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE


Unlike most of the other little TSR books from the period, Boot Hill includes numerous ready-to-go maps, scenarios, and NPCs.:

Rare double-page tear-out reference sheet:

TSR Boot Hill minis c. 1983: