Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Poll: Modules vs. Homebrew Adventures

Back in February there was a thread on Dragonsfoot about whether or not to use modules. A post by Wheggi, whose opinionated no-BS forum commentary I really enjoy, stood out to me:

I wish more DMs would use modules, instead of subjecting their players to their crappy campaign worlds. Because face it: most home brew campaign worlds can't hold a candle to a professionally written, edited, playtested and illustrated module. Lots of DMs out there think there stuff is great, but the reality is that most of it is great only in thier own ego-clouded minds.

Guys that let go of their pride and run well-written modules are ultimately doing their players a favor.

I think this viewpoint crystallizes a major difference between the blogger and forum cultures. Most of the blogs I read are filled with session reports and ideas from largely homebrewed campaigns. On the other hand, the Dragonsfoot forum in particular has a large number of module fetishists that discuss the classic TSR modules in great detail. These discussions are fun for me to read because I collect old modules myself - I read them cover to cover and find the good ones to be very inspiring.

...but I've never been a module guy myself. When I was a kid I ran one session of B3: Palace of the Silver Princess and one session of X1: Isle of Dread. Wheggi's post got me to thinking whether my fixation on writing my own adventures is really just an ego trip I'm subjecting my poor friends to. Maybe I would be better off spending some time delving into someone else's work... but dammit, I like writing adventures!

The responses on the Dragonsfoot thread seemed to reveal a pretty major bimodal distribution of module vs. non-module people. It turned out that a lot of Dragonsfoot readers use modules almost exclusively, which surprised me.

I'm curious to get a better idea of where the old school blog community falls in terms of preference for modules. I've posted an anonymous poll in the top right of the blog - I'm curious to know what YOU think.